Pregnancy Category C
Drug classes of Ezetimibe
Therapeutic actions of Ezetimibe
Reduces blood cholesterol by inhibiting the absorption of cholesterol by the small intestine.
Indications of Ezetimibe
- Primary Hypercholesterolemia
- Homozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia (HoFH)
- Homozygous Sitosterolemia
Contraindications/cautions of Ezetimibe
Hypersensitivity to any component of this medication. The combination of ZETIA with an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor is contraindicated in patients with active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations in serum transaminases. All HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors are contraindicated in pregnant and nursing women. Myopathy and rhabdomyolysis.
Adverse effects of Ezetimibe
- General: fatigue, viral infections, pharyngitis, sinusitis
- GIT: abdominal pain, diarrhea
- Musculo-skeletal: arthralgia, back pain
- Respiratory: cough
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.