Pregnancy Category C
- Loop (high ceiling) diuretic
Inhibits the reabsorption of sodium and chloride from the proximal and distal renal tubules and the loop of Henle, leading to a natriuretic diuresis.
- Edema associated with CHF, cirrhosis, renal disease
- Acute pulmonary edema (IV)
- Unlabeled use: treatment of adult nocturia
Allergy to bumetanide; electrolyte depletion; anuria, severe renal failure; hepatic coma; SLE; gout; diabetes mellitus; lactation.
- CNS: Asterixis, dizziness, vertigo, paresthesias, confusion, fatigue, nystagmus, weakness, headache, drowsiness, fatigue, blurred vision, tinnitus, irreversible hearing loss
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric irritation and pain, dry mouth, acute pancreatitis, jaundice
- CV: Orthostatic hypotension, volume depletion, cardiac arrhythmias, thrombophlebitis
- Hematologic: Hypokalemia, leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia
- GU: Polyuria, nocturia, glycosuria, renal failure
- Local: Pain, phlebitis at injection site
- Other: Muscle cramps and muscle spasms, weakness, arthritic pain, fatigue, hives, photosensitivity, rash, pruritus, sweating, nipple tenderness
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.