Pregnancy Category C
- Loop (high-ceiling) diuretic
Inhibits the reabsorption of sodium and chloride from the proximal and distal renal tubules and the loop of Henle, leading to a sodium-rich diuresis.
- Edema associated with CHF, cirrhosis, renal disease (oral, IV)
- Acute pulmonary edema (IV)
- Hypertension (oral)
Contraindicated in the presence of allergy to furosemide,
allergy to tartrazine (in oral solution); electrolyte depletion;
severe renal failure; hepatic coma; pregnancy; lactation.
Use caution in the presence of SLE, gout, diabetes mellitus.
- CNS: Dizziness, vertigo, paresthesias, xanthopsia, weakness, headache, drowsiness, fatigue, blurred vision, tinnitus, irreversible hearing loss
- GI: Nausea, anorexia, vomiting, oral and gastric irritation, constipation; diarrhea, acute pancreatitis, jaundice
- CV: Orthostatic hypotension, volume depletion, cardiac arrhythmias, thrombophlebitis
- Hematologic: Leukopenia, anemia, thrombocytopenia, fluid and electrolyte imbalances
- GU: Polyuria, nocturia, glycosuria, urinary bladder spasm
- Dermatologic: Photosensitivity, rash, pruritus, urticaria, purpura, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme
- Other: Muscle cramps and muscle spasms
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.