Name: Isosorbide dinitrate
Pregnancy Category C
- Antianginal drug
Relaxes vascular smooth muscle with a resultant decrease in venous return and decrease in arterial blood pressure, which reduces left ventricular workload and decreases myocardial oxygen consumption.
Treatment and prevention of angina pectoris
Allergy to nitrates, severe anemia, GI hypermobility (sustained-release tablets), head trauma, cerebral hemorrhage, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, pregnancy, lactation.
- CNS: Headache, apprehension, restlessness, weakness, vertigo, dizziness, faintness
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, incontinence or urine and feces, abdominal pain
- CV: Tachycardia, retrosternal discomfort, palpitations, hypotension, syncope, collapse, postural hypotension, angina
- Dermatologic: Rash, exfoliative dermatitis, cutaneous vasodilation with flushing
- Other: Muscle twitching, pallor, perspiration, cold sweat
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.