Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Anxiety or second opinion

astrogrrl - Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:50 am

I am a 24 year old female and I am in the Army and have so far been diagnosed as having Panic disorder and PTSD. The other night I had a panic attack and my heart beart was 150 bpm just sitting down so I rushed myself to the emergency room. They monitored me for 4 hours and did 2 EKG's both of which were normal and did a blood test to make sure I didn't have a blood clot in my lung which would cause the high pulse rate. It took four hours of my lying down until it went down below 100 bpm and then they released me. I also get a chest pain on the left side on my breast bone between my breasts and pain in my left armpit sometimes. The problem is my heart rate jumps like that all the time and then it causes me to have a panic attack because the fast beating makes me think I am having a heart attack. Do you think this is just anxiety or do I need to seek a cardio work up? :?:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm

User avatar Dear Astrogrrl,

A heart attack in a 24 years old woman is a very rare condition as females are protected by their hormones during this period in their lives. However, nothing can be excluded over the internet. So, i think that this is just your panic attack.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.