Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: Pneumopericardium

ben530 - Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:28 pm

When my baby was born 5-02 he was not breathing from cord around the neck twice and tight. He was put on a vent. They discovered that night that he had air around his heart. After watching him in NICU for a week we took him home. After about a month he seen a caridologist who did ultrasound and whatever else they call it. She said everything looked normal now. My question is can this ever come back, should he be restricted from anything. No one ever said anything other than he looked fine now. He is almost 9 months old now and seems fine. I just scared for him. Can you give me any information.
Pam, Charleston, WV
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:48 pm

User avatar Dear Pam,

Pneumopericardium is a rare condition and it is usually caused by leakage of air from lung and this air collects around the heart. It could be caused by very high pressures in the lung caused by ventilator leading to rupture of some of his tiny air sacs in the lungs.

Since pneumopericardium occured in the context of such a clinical situation i would assume that this was the cause and since your son has never had any problems afterwards, recurrence sounds very rare to me.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and if you still have any concerns or questions, do not hesitate to post them.