Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Chest pain

todd1a - Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:59 pm

Hi doc,
I love this web site and though I come here all the time, I just recently signed up.
I am a 30 yr old male, black, smoke 5 to seven sticks of cig everyday.(my dad had a sroke and is now passed.
i get slight pressure in the chest especialy when i go out to events and end up smoking more sticks than i normaly would.it does not come and stay but pulsates depending on my movermentand i would describe it as irregularly spaced aches. please tell me what you think it is and what i should do.
i know that smoking is bad and is trying to stop but till i do, please tell me what other things to do and if i am at a major risk of something.
cares-----------m
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:14 am

User avatar Hi Todd1a,
Thank you very much for your kind remarks! Its a pleasure having you here.
As for chest pain, there are a multitude of causes. Check our page on chest pain:
pain
As you can see its always important to exclude the possibility of heart attacks (ischemic heart disease or myocardial infarction). This is done using a few tests. However, we don't do these tests for everyone. We only do them to patients who have symptoms and risk factors suspicious enough to warrant further investigation. Check our page on risk factors for heart disease:
Click here!

Although your symptoms are not characteristic of chest pain due to a serious cause such as a heart attack, your family history and your smoking raise your risk of heart disease and warrant a clinical exam and performing a few tests.

You are right about abstaining.