Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Lunula faded and turned blue

randynky40004 - Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:07 pm

I writing on behalf of my mother,she is 57 yrs old ,about 40 lbs over weight,smokes 1.5 pks of cigarrettes daily and med to high alcohol consumption.she also is diabetic.high blood pressure.
caulcasin. she is on medication for the high blood pressure and diabeties.
family history of cancer and heart problems...her father.

Over the last mothe here lunula on all here fingers had for the most part faded and had turned to a purplish blue color

I was wondering if this is a symptom of heart problems..circulation ,lack of oxygen,of just possible fungus?

I appreciate your time and responce to this question.

Thank you.Randy nky.

sorry my spelling is horrible.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:47 am

User avatar Dear Randy,

Lunulae turning blue/purplish is usually an indication of either poor circulation or not enough oxygen.

i think with your mom's history of smoking, she could have developed emphysema. Also, smoking can lead to heart disease and poor circulation.

Your mom being obese, she can have a condition called sleep apnea or another one called obesity hypoventilation syndrome and they can cause low oxygen in the blood if very severe.

i know it is not usually that cold in kentucky but cold weather will also make the lunulae bluish

Please, have your mother see her doctor because even though this is a clinical sign of a simple condition yet it can be cause by more severe ones and she needs to be evaluated.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.