Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Dull chest ache back left side

mlorek - Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 pm

Hello I am a 26 year male from Colorado who has been having a constaint, dull pain on the left side of my rib cage for over a year now. It is a dull pain in the back towards the middle of my back, kinda feels like a lump under my rib cage, but between it and my lungs. I also have a persistant pain on my fron left side on the bottom outside edge of my rib cage near my sternum. I smoked for 3 years and have been smoke free now for about a year. I do drink more than I should averaging 4 to 6 beers a night with more like 10 beers a night on the weekends. My family has no history of this. Any ideas or information on what is going on would help. The pain is not a "pain" more like a dull ache, but it makes my body feel like it is "rotting" from the inside out. Thank you for your time.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 am

User avatar Hi.

Looking at your symptoms and your profile you need to undergo first a routine medical like pulse, BP, chest and heart examination, X Ray of the Chest, ECG. May be you also need a stress ECG and an Echocardiogram depending and the results of the routine medical.

Also you need to check your Lipid Profile ['cholesterol'].
You drink too much. Stop it right away. This quantity of alcohol, if nothing else could produce a lot of acidity which might regurgitate in your food pipe and produce chest symptoms.

But again I would advice you to undergo the above mentioned test urgently .

Dr. A. Madia.
 mlorek - Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Thank you for your quick reply Dr. A. Madia. Since writing the question I have controled my drinking for about a week and a half and the pain has lessened a little but not by a great deal....do you think it wise to see if it improves in the next week or two or should I go in for tests right away? I do have insurance that will cover the tests but wonder if time without drinking will heal my pain? Again thanyou for your quick response.
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:21 am

User avatar Hi.

You need to severely cut down on alcohol AND get the medical check done as soon as possible.

Dr. A. Madia

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us