Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: strange chest pain

 tburns - Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:24 pm


I am a 24 year old man in good shape with no family history of heart disease. Around two years ago my chest began to hurt. The pain came on quickly, starting in the middle of my chest and spread all the way around to my back. The pain would worsen with movement and breathing. The pain would lessen when I would lie down. However, after lying down, I couldnt get up for about a half an hour due to the pain. The next day, I went to the doctor, who gave me an EKG, and sent me home without a clear explaination (although ruling out a heart problem). The pain slowly went away over the course of about 10 days. This morning I the pain came back and once again I found myself immobilized for about a half hour. Similarly to before the pain restrics movement and decreases when I lay down. I am not sure if i should go back to the doctor or just wait for the pain to go away by itself. The only previous medical condition I have had is an back problem that seemed to effect my legs. Not sure if the two have any connection. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:45 am

User avatar Hi.

You have classical symptoms of musculoskeletal chest pain, in plain English pain originating from the ribs or the muscles of the chest. In severe form it may be labelled as Tietz' Syndrome. In any case you still need to go for an EKG always to rule out the cardiac cause, your pain will definitely subside by a course of Ibuprofen 600 mg thrice daily with food for 3-4 days.

Dr. A. Madia
 adamsacres - Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:01 pm

I am 46 and my son is 26. Years ago I started a severe pain in my upper left chest just under my breast. I could only take short quick breaths almost felt like an air bubble. I would just have to eventually take a deep breath, there would be a "pop" in my chest and then the pain subsided. Sometimes this went on for days or weeks and would subside for a year or so. My son is now complaining of the exact same symptoms. I have had extensive cardiac tests and they have proven negative for any problems. I have had some tell me this is associated to rheumatoid arthritis, but it's so close to the heart it worries me....if so, what is the cause and what exactly is happening? I have a slight heart murmur and have since I was 8.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us