Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Near-syncope

dsmithd1 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:47 am

I am a 36-yr old female. My only surgeries have been for strabismus and the removal of my gall bladder, all over 5 yrs ago. I have had one child, 2.5 yrs old, no complications with pregnancy or delivery. I currently take Ambien CR occasionally for sleep problems (only a few times a month) and lorazepam for anxiety. The anxiety causes a very strong and rapid heartbeat in response to mild stress. I take the drug as infrequently as possible becasue of its addictiveness. I am also on the Nuva Ring for birth control.

For many years, I have had a rapid reasting heartbeat (90-100 bpm) I recently took my pulse after merely walking across a room and it was 120. Short walks or efforts seem to get me out of breath. In the last 3 or 4 months I have had three episodes of feeling like my heart "skipped a beat" accompanied by a feeling of almost passing out. This only lasts a few seconds. At the time that each of these episodes happened, I had not recently taken any meds and was not doing anything strenuous or under any kind of emotional stress. The first time I was lying on the sofa reading a good book!

I am scheduled for an echocardiogram today. All my EKGs have been normal. What can the echo show and what should happen next if it, too, is normal?
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:16 am

User avatar Hi.

The most common result that your Echocardiogram might show in this instance is a Mitral Prolapse. This is a condition where the valve leaflets are long and redundant and they slip or "skid" over each other when they close with a force during the systole. This can cause occurence of "missed" beats, palpitation, fast pulse and even a syncope.

This is a totally benign condition, and more of a nuisance value.
You may need to take Inderal 40 mg twice a day which will contol the pulse, the missed beats and even the anxiety part too.

Dr. A. Madia

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us