Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Heart Failure or Just out of Shape... How can I tell?

jmezzan - Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:07 pm

Hello! I'm a 27 year old male with worries I might be experiencing signs of Heart Failure but am not very sure.... I had a couple years in my past where I partied a little too hard during college and have since stopped. I'm still worried that those years might have done something to me as I notice that I am growing a bigger and bigger intolerance to exertion. I haven't worked or exercised since I was 17 and think it could also be that I'm just out of shape. How can I tell? I am not overweight. exact opposite actually, and i get winded just walking up the stairs to my apartment. I tried to get on a walking machine at my apt gym the other day and i nearly fainted after a 30 min brisk walk. Often times I feel my heart beating hard at rest and tons of other things with my heart that I never noticed before. I stopped smoking and drink lightly. Even just walking up hill gets be breathing very hard. Am I out of shape or might I have a heart condition. I don't notice anything else like edema or difficulty breathing when lying down or coughs or anything. just the extreme difficulty just doing regular exercise. Should I see a cardiologist and take a stress test?

I know I kind of rambled on but I got tons of things on my mind.. any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks a ton!
 jmezzan - Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:10 pm

one more thing though ever since I have been young sometimes after running or working out or any serious exertion I get a dull aching pain by my neck in my right collar bone area... it stays for a while and is a big nuisance. :[

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us