Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Shortness of breath, dizziness and pain in left arm

 Reezide - Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:13 pm

My fiance, Joe, has a family history of heart problems. His Uncle had a heart attack at nineteen years old. He is very worried that he may be at risk.

A few years ago, he started to get pains in the left side of his body, only in his arm and chest. He explains it as a sharp pain that doesn't seem like it will end but it only lasts for five minutes at the very most. It's just an annoying pain that he considers maybe a '4' on a scale of 1-10. He has gone to his family doctor who then referenced him to the emergency because he said that they do not have the correct equipment to test him. They took a few tests which he is unable to recall and could find nothing wrong.

Lately, Joe has started getting short of breath. He is not wheezing but simply has a hard time taking a breath and at some points cannot take a breath at all. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, it's happened in the shower, in his sleep, and even just sitting watching tv. Dizziness follows due to lack of oxygen and he almost passed out in the shower.

Joe does not drink or smoke, he has gained maybe five pounds in the last few months, but that is the only change I can think of. He is twenty one years old and has an inside sales job. I'm wondering if this has to due with a heart condition and we should see a cardiologist or if it has to do with something else. Please help.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:43 am

User avatar I think you should make an appointment with a Cardiologist ASAP. If it is not heart related you will get a referral to a specialist.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us