Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Bad PVCs

jlr1965 - Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:07 pm

I am a 41 yr old Male. I have had PVC's for several years. At least that is what the Doctors have said. I was going to a cardiologist whom, after several visits, said I should go back to my regular Doctor since he saw no reason for me to see a cardiologist. I am taking 25 mg. Atenolol. Nexium, 25 mg Zocor and 1500 mg Niaspan. Recently, the palpitations have come back. I went back to my regular Doctor and he took an EKG and saw nothing. Although when laying down, I do not feel the extra beats. I feel them when standing or sitting. Although he does not feel it is anything to worry about. I am very worried. They are very bothersome and he set up an appointment again with my cardiologist to get checked again and told me to take 50mg of Atenolol. I don't feel them all the time. Some days I feel nothing, then all of a sudden, there they are and I get very stressed over them. What is your opinion?
Thank you

Jeff
 singinRN - Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:15 pm

There are many reasons for irregular heartbeats, which is what PVC's are. Some of them are as simple as being related to diet: a high intake of caffeine (from coffee, carbonated beverages, or OTC medications); an imbalanced diet, one that is deficient in potassium and or magnesium, which is very easy to check by blood levels; as well as other causes. One important question I have is do you or any of your blood relatives have a history of cardiac arrhythmias? If so, you should probably have a Holter monitor study for at least for 24 hours or some other form of more intense study. I hope this is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us