Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: STATINS SHORT-TERM TO LOWER LDL?

saintcal - Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 am

Hi -- I'm a 63-yr old female with LDL of about 120 and HDL around 53-55. I'm wondering about the possibility of taking Lovastatin or another statin drug to lower the LDL, without staying on it too long. Is this advisable or possible?

I am working on weight and blood pressure control also (15+ lbs. overweight with BMI of 25, and borderline high blood pressure at times), but haven't seen any affect on the LDL so far. Thanks.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 am

User avatar Prescription of statins is on the basis of lipid profile and risk factors.

You have 2 or more risk factors (from your history) -

Age > 55

Hypertension

HDL is > 40 so its on the better side.

Smoking, Diabetes too are risk factors which you havent mentioned.

Coronary artery disease is the most important risk factor. I assume you don't have CAD.

So ideally you should follow :-

LDL > 130 - 12-week trial of diet and exercise.

LDL > 160 - Statins

[b]To conclude
- At LDL of 120 and HDL around 55, you shouldn't worry about starting statins :)

[/b]

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us