Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Burst Blood Vessel

 run2themax - Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:22 pm

About this same time of year in 2001 I was hit in the leg by something that left what I thought was a bruise. It never went away so I assumed that it was a blood vessel burst in my leg. Occasionally it throbs but mostly it just still looks like a bruise. Is there anything I can do for this problem? Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:20 am

User avatar Long-lasting bruises are caused when some blood products from red blood cells have leaked out of the capillaries and been broken down in the tissue, giving the brownish discoloration. You should pay a visit to your physician. He would best evaluate your conditions and discuss with you the various options.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us