Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Diagnosing blood flow issues of the pelvis and legs

 Poda - Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:53 am

Hi. I'm trying to create a plan to figure out what's causing all my pain in my groin, buttocks, and right leg. One part of my plan is to evaluate for blood flow issues. What would be the best non-invasive test to do this? Also, I tried getting into a cardiologist but they said I need a referal and none of my docs will give me one. The places just say "follow up with your primary care doctor" which just sounds so absurd to hear when obviously that's what I've already been doing. Anyway, I'm trying to find a doc who will pay attention. Because I tell them I've had a workup, mainly urological and some blood work and cat scans, the docs automatically say they can't help me. But, they can if they would try. So, my new approach is going to be a more direct one, simply asking a doc to do specific tests. So, I'm looking for one to evaluate blood flow from the pelvis and down in the body, preferrably non-invasive.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 pm

User avatar Hello,

Regarding the noninvasive diagnostic techniques used commonly to asses blood flow in the major peripheral blood vessels, are the Doppler and the duplex . They both act like an US for the blood vessels.

But It may be more helpful if you can provide us more details about the history of your complaint and the investigations done with their results. Like that may be we can guide you where to go further.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 Poda - Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi again. Do you know the difference between MR Venography and MR Angiography, particularly for imaging blood vessels in the pelvis and legs?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:19 pm

User avatar Dear Poda,

In general, angiography refers to visualization of the blood vessels (whether arteries or veins) using a dye under a special x-ray machine. Virtually, it is a term used when arteries are visualized. There is what is known as a venous phase, where after injecting the dye into the arteries going to a certain organ, the veins that are draining the blood coming out of this organ will show the dye but weakly.

Venography refers to visualization of veins. The dye is injected into the veins directly with very good visualization to diagnose any diseases of the veins such as blood clots.

Thank you very much for using our website and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us