Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Irregular heart beat

YanaHatesAol - Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:47 pm

My doctor had diagnosed me with an irregular heart beat. He said it is nothing serious, and yet it makes me concerned. I believe it is not a REGULAR IRREGULAR heart beat, but rather very spontaneous irregular heart beat. I wonder if there may be any complications from this. I am only 24 years old, so obviously I am not ready to think of it, but I guess I should consider what might happen. Please help =)
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:10 pm

User avatar Dear Yana,

What kind of irregular heart beat did your doctor diagnose you with and how did he do that? Was it through an ekg or just by taking your pulse? Did he tell you what type of irregular heart rhythm was it?

There are certain types of irregular heart rhythms that have to be treated.

i need more information, please, to try to answer the question the best i can.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your update.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D
 YanaHatesAol - Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:18 pm

Dear Dr. Mokhtar,

Thank you for your reply!

I am a little ignorant in medicine, but I will try to answer your questions. At first it was my grandmother who noticed it! She is someone who makes sure everyone is healthy and she checks everyone's pulse periodically, especially me, her only granddaughter. That was about 10 years ago. I had a full physical last November and the doctor noticed something, I can not remember how he did the heart check. Then they decided to do the test and I had to wear a heart monitor thing for three days with the tape recorder that was recording the heartbeat at all times. There were many wires about me =)

I can not remember what kind of irregular heart beat this is, I think it is an irregular irregular heart beat, because I just checked my pulse, and there was NO pattern there. And I remember something that my friend said, she is a traditional medicine person. She said that the "regular irregular" heart beat is indicative of a definite problem, while "irregular irregular" heart beat is better.

This is all I can really tell. I can try and call teh doctor. I live in a different state right now, but I will contact the doctor on Monday and ask him that.

Thank you very much for your help and I hope that whatever I asnwered today may help =)
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:12 pm

User avatar Dear Yana,

Since you had the heart monitor for three days and your doctor did not prescribe any medication, if there was an arrhythmia, it was not significant enough to be treated.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.