Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: vibration in chest while sleeping

drea - Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:56 am

I am a 33 year old women. Healthy, active runner, approximately 35 miles a week. No known medical heart problems or family history. For the past few weeks I have been waking up with a vibrating sensation in my chest. It starts and stops like a switch being turned on and off. Seems to be happening more frequently.
Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:51 pm

User avatar You may want to see your doctor to get an ECG done. Your description of the rapid on and off may indicate that your heart is beating in a rapid rhythm (possibly just the atria or top chambers). If the ECG is normal you may need a 24 hour holter monitor to catch the episode while it's happening.

Given that you are otherwise OK during these episodes it is unlikely that you have a dangerous heart rhythm but sometimes these rhythms can have long term consequences.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us