Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Syncope (Passing Out)

Anonymous - Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:01 am

My father is 63, retired and overweight (most of his adult life) and has recently started to pass out and has done so 3 times in the past 6 months, the latest of which he passed out and lost control of his bladder. He is aware of when he is going to pass out. He refuses to see a doctor, any ideas on a diagnosis. My thanks in advance. Rob.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:11 pm

User avatar Dear Rob,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Passing out can be caused by many things. Though the 2 main categories under which for passing out is classified are either related to brain or to heart.

The major brain causes that might lead to passing out are:
1. Having a seizure.
2. Having a precedant to stroke.
3. Having a stroke.

The major heart causes that might lead to passing out are:
1. Having low blood pressure.
2. Having a slow heart rate.
3. Having an abnormal fast heart rhythm.
4. Having extremely high blood pressure.
5. Simple fainting.

Your dad must see a doctor and some blood tests, x-rays and other specialized tests should be done.

Losing control over his bladder could be related to a brain cause most probably seizure in my mind more than the others yet this can not be confirmed until he is seen by a doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and hope this will help.