Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Palpitations while I'm walking and it scares me

Shafiq - Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:43 pm

age 23
sex male
have clinical depression
i take mirtazapine 45mg

I don't understand wats goin on with me..i have had a history of chest pains for three years and i always went to a&es and they would do a cardiogram and blood test and then send me home saying there is nothing wrong with me..but i have recently developed this new symptom that i feel my heart beating while i m walking and it scares me and i think its abnormal and i went to hospital yesterday they did cardiogram and said my heart beat is normal..i get pains that are very mild on my left side but then i pay alot of attention to it and i start feeling that the pain might kill me ...can a doctor tell me what my problem is..and f the chest pain and heart beating have any relation with the way my brain works...thanx
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:15 pm

User avatar One possibility is that you are having anxiety attacks. These frequently will give fast heart rates and feelings as if one is going to die. Also, anxiety tends to be associated with depression.

If the attacks only happen while walking you may need to have a stress cardiac test to see what your rhythm is during the episodes. A holter monitor or event recorder may also help to capture the heart rhythm during an attack. Looking at the rhythm while the symptoms are there are the most helpful.

I would recommend talking to your doctor about some of these tests to see if they would be appropriate for you.