Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Syncopal episode - Bradycardia and hypotensive - Review

solrob - Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:01 am

I am requesting clarification on a patient that was taken to hospital by myself. This approx. 80 y/o patient had just finished dinner and had a ?syncopal episode, bystanders had kept the patient upright for approx.. 10 mins and he was still hypotensive, bradycardic. We place him supine immediately - BP 100/60 whilst supine, bradycardic, hypotensive and then the patient began vomiting. I can provide fluids for hypovolaemia. [Although not tachycardic and bradycardic @ 56 with VEB's (nil cardiac Hx)]. I gave the patient approx 200ml Hartmanns and an aspirin. Patient tx with oxygen and received a 12 lead ECG @ Hospital then admin to cardiac ward. I received advice that Hartmann's was not advised.

Would you have provided hartmann's in this scenario ? if not, why not?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:30 am

User avatar Dear solrob,

i think that Hartmann's solution was indicated at this point. i am not sure why it was tought it was not indicated.

In any case of hypotension, a bolus of fluids is helpful. Even if the patient has a cardiac history, i don't think that 200 cc of fluids would hurt.

Thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.