Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Chest Problems

 luke2003 - Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:03 pm

Hello im writing to you about my fiancee, she has been complaining of chest ache shes 18 , Female her grandmother has heartfailure and is prone to heart attacks, well i hope you can help.

My fiancee keeps saying shes having a painful gripping sensation that seems to move from inbetween her armpit and her breast , down her arm, into her rib then round her back to her other side of her ribs she explained to me it was a Gripping Stabbing pain.

She is prone to Pneumonia and she had to get rushed into the ER with it twice, but shes not having any cold/flu like symptoms so can anyone please tell me if she should see a doctor, or take advil? or some other non-prescription drugs?.

She has no health insurance right now and she cant afford the doctors can anyone help please?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:26 pm

User avatar Hi Luke2003,

There are many causes of chest pain. With her family history, I'm sure you are wondering if it is her heart. I can't say for sure given the limitations of the internet but her pain being stabbing doesn't fit well with heart pain that is generally described more as a severe pressure. heart pain is also difficult to narrow to one specific area. Her age also argues against a heart problem.

Other common causes of chest pain are pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs), reflux, pneumonias and other lung problems, and costochondritis. Given her history of pneumonias, she may have some pleurisy causing her pain.

Pleurisy is often made worse by deep breathing, which causes the lung lining to rub the chest wall.

If her symptoms don't improve I would recommend that you have her see a doctor. There are often clinics in town that can see people without insurance on a free or reduced fee basis. The local health department can often help locate these clinics if needed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us