Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Tightening in the Chest... Anxiety related?

liz101585 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm a 21 year old female, overweight, diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety and Panic Disorder. I was also diagnosed with asthma about 14 years ago.

In the past two days I have noticed a tightening feeling in the middle of my chest. Today it spread to the right side of my chest. My first thought was to attribute this feeling to my anxiety problems, but I've never experienced this chest tightening before with previous anxiety attacks.

My blood pressure today was 119/84 (Pulse, 89), and it's always around that range. I'm not sure if that's important, but it wouldn't hurt to mention.

I take Zoloft for my anxiety disorder, Desyrel for insomnia, Xopenex and Fluticasone for asthma, and Singulair and Zyrtec for allergies.

Obviously I'm worried about heart problems, but I've been to the Emergency Room before with presumed heart problems which turned out to be symptoms of my Anxiety disorder.

So my question is, How can I tell the difference between an Anxiety Attack and a Heart Attack?
 liz101585 - Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:21 pm

I forgot to mention that the tightening feels the worst when I exhale.
 liz101585 - Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 am

I found out that it was Asthma-related tightening of my lungs.

My doctor prescribed Prednisone and administered breathing treatments with Albuterol.