Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: pain with pacemaker

Tiger-moth - Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi, I'm a 35yr women I had my first pacemaker due to being born with a complete heart block,although I had no problems with my first pacemaker, I had my second pacemaker about 3yrs now & just recently I've experienced pain around the area of where the box & wires lies.
although I have quite large breasts & thought that they were the problem to the pains I was experiencing, with the left breast being so heavy & a bit bigger than the right, that the left breast was pulling on the wires of the pacemaker, is this possible? & is there advise you can give me about this problem.
Tiger-moth
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:12 pm

User avatar Hi Tiger-moth,

While I've not heard of the breast tissue pulling on the pacer wires it does seem plausible.

Also, the area where the pacer is implanted is at a slightly higher risk of developing an infection in the area due to the foreign body being there. These infections generally require antibiotics to clear.

If your pain is not improving I would recommend you see your doctor for a full evaluation.