Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Is it true that infants do not need water?

fastturbo1 - Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:28 am

Hello the doctor told my son that his new baby didn't need to have water at, 3 months old. This little girl has the strongest urine that I've had the oppounity to experience in any child. No past diagnoses, no past history, no surgeries. I would like to know at, what age is good to give a baby water or is the milk good enough for her hydration being that we're in Florida where the temperture alone can dehydrate anyone that goes outside. Please assist me in deciding what's going to be the right path to take.

Anthony D. Johnson
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:38 pm

User avatar Hello Mr. Johnson,

It is true that infants do not need water. Formula or breast milk should be sufficient. If the baby is urinating at least 4-5 times per day, she is getting enough water.

If her urine continues to be strong you may want to talk with her pediatrician about this to be evaluated.