Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Echo results

muin - Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:25 am

I am a 52 year old female with severe COPD (FEV1=33%). Recently I had an echo done, as I do yearly, and it came up with 2 things that I have not seen before and am scared. I am seeing my cardiologist within the next 60 days but in the meantime am sitting in fear. I am on Advair 500, Spiriva, Bricanyl, Uniphyl (Theophylline), Singular, Estrogen and Progesterone and have just started O2 supplementation during exertion and sleep (no sleep apnea). The echo said that my RVSP is 37mmHg - slightly elevated and there is small pericardial effusion. I am really scared and have essentially stopped all exercise. As I monitor my sats by oximeter I have noticed that my heart rate can go anywhere from 64 to 115 without any exertion or any odd feeling within myself. Can you tell my what is going on?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 pm

User avatar Hi Muin,

Your pulmonary pressures are slightly elevated. This is a known occurrence with COPD. Seeing your doctor about this is important to see if any specific treatment is needed for it. Sometimes the pressure is slightly elevated but not enough to need treatment. In these cases it is followed closely. Other times treatment is indicated.

The pericardial effusion, if minimal, will likely resolve on its own. It can be caused by many different causes, including viral infections. It is likely that this will be followed without treatment to make sure it is getting better.

The cardiologist will be able to tell you much more about your condition. Follow up is important.