Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: 40 year old female with chest pain when breathing

 coco - Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:46 pm

I am a 40 year old female with no history of heart problems. While there is no history of heart disease in my family, I am experiencing some unexplained pain. Yesterday, out of nowhere, I felt like I pulled a muscle in my chest (ribs, front, side and back), shoulder blade, and my left arm hurt, all with constant pain that turned to stabbing pain with movement, including while breathing. I cannot take in a full breath without stabbing pain in my sternum. My upper abdominal area aches too. I sweat through the night last night and have been fatigued and light headed all day today. The pain is still here, though slightly better. In the past, I have had salpingitis, followed by surgery (oopherectomy salpingo & apendectomy) in 1995. I have IBS, and 2 years ago was told I have very high cholesterol, but not given meds for it. I take birth control pills, and use Clariton D and Nasocort AQ. Years ago, my OB/GYN mentioned my heart sounded like I may have MVP, but I have never seen a Dr. about it. I am wondering if my pain is bad enough that I should be seen at the hospital. I don't want to be viewed as a hypochondriac. Your thoughts?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:30 pm

User avatar Hi Coco,

Pulled rib muscles can be very painful. It can cause very sharp pain and difficulty breathing. Sometimes wrapping the rib cage can help.

If you are having trouble breathing you may want to be seen by a doctor to make sure that something more serious isn't going on. They can wrap your rib cage as well if needed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us