Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: exercise-induced right side chest pain

 fishfarmer - Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

I'm a 46 yr old male diagnosed with CAD. Had a stent 2.5 yrs ago to fix a blockage in the LMT, no past MIs. Symptom free until 3 mos. ago since which time I have experienced several episodes of exercise induced, right side chest pain. Each event follows only 10 to 20 mins. of light excertion, characterized by a ballooning feeling of pain and moderate burn very localized in an area of my right chest just right of the sternum. Onset appeared to be correlated with increased BP as was finally clinically documented in a pulmonology stress test - recommended meds change to lower the BP with no resultant diagnosis of the chest pain. In each case, tingling down the right arm but pain always subsided shortly after discont.activity followed by a lingering, mild burning and irritation in upper chest. To date, a heart cath, nuclear perfusion, pulmonological stress test, cardiac enzyms, and chest CT are all negative. After a change in meds two weeks ago from 240 verapamil, to 5 mg norvasc and 50 mg altenolol, another pronounced episode occurred today during a 20 minute walk. I'm concerned by Docs. may be missing a peripheral coronary arterial or even a semi-labile pulmonary issue. Any thoughts on a diagnosis would be greatly appreciated! fishfarmer
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 pm

User avatar Hi Fishfarmer,

Your symptoms do sound like they may be coming from a heart issue. I would have expected that if it were a problem with compromised blood flow there would have been some changes on the stress EKG. Also, I would have expected a blockage big enough to be significant to show up on catheterization.

My best advice for you is to continue to follow up with your cardiologist. Yo may need a repeat stress EKG to see if there are any new changes.

If you begin developing severe chest pain or shortness of breath you should be seen by a doctor right away.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us