Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: I feel like my heart stops and there is pain what might it b

 TMalonson - Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:45 pm

I'm a 32yr female
I have not gotten answers or diagnoses
removal of ruptured tubal pregnancy is my only past surgerie.
My grate uncle had T.O.F and so does my youngest son I don't know any other history
I'm on no current meds

Starting many yrs ago It felt like my heart would stop, I would become light headed and dizzy but moments later I would feel a very hard heart beat that would bring me back gasping for air this hurts but not much, It happens at all hours even while I'm asleep and for no apparent reason. I would like to also mention that for many years even with treatment I get very bad gum infections, badly bleeding gums accompanied by a rotting flesh odder and now have many loose teeth. I also have had severe case of acid reflux for 13yrs with out success in treatment. Starting 2 weeks ago on top of all that I have started having chest pains in the center of my chest that does not seem to go away but does every so often worsen and then lessen but it seems to be there all the time.

What could all this be and do you thing I'm in danger heart wise?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:36 pm

User avatar Hi TMalonson,

Your description makes me a little suspicious of a condition called supraventricular tachycardia, although usually during these attacks the person feels the heart racing. A heart block is another possibility but this doesn't usually present this way.

I would suggest you see a cardiologist to get an EKG and possible a holter monitor (a prolonged EKG) to try to catch the heart rhythm during one of these episodes.

Most of the possible heart causes can be treated with medications or other treatments once the diagnosis is made.

Best wishes.
 TMalonson - Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:32 am

Thank you for answering all of the questions that I have posted. I guess I should not have let things go for so long. Looks like I have some Dr. appts. to make.
I also want to thank you for being very clear with your answers I normally get very vague answers from Doctors when I go to see them and then end up being confused as to what the diagnosis is BUT you have always been very clear thank you now I know all the right questions to ask and what tests to request. You have been a great help and I'm glad to see a Dr. who cares as much as you obviously do.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us