Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: stroke and seizures now sharp pain chest, back and head

 cavadan - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:48 pm

I am 21 years old. No family history since I was adopted. A month ago I went in for a planned c-section to have my son. During the c-ection I had a stroke with sharp pain in my head and I saw lights. In the recovery room I had three seizures. I had a ton of tests done and they said that I had a clot in the back of my head. After finally having a TEE done they said my heart is perfectly healthy and can not find he cause for the stroke since I have had a good healthy history. I am curently taken an asprin a day and dilantin for seizures. They don't know why I had those either and have me on meds as a precaution. Now just a few days ago I have been having random chest pains that are exscrutiating. They also travel to my back and my rib cage and my head. Nothing triggers it. It just happens. I am so confused as to what is happening with my body. I haven't had a chance to go to the er for the pain i have been having because I don't know if it is serious or not.

All I am looking for are some answers as of know. I am scared because I am so young and I would hate to have a stroke or something while watching my two young kids and have them get hurt because I can;t get to a phone.

Thank you

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:15 pm

User avatar Hi Cavadan,

Pregnancy can increase the risk of blood clots some but for most people this is not an issue. In your case, since you developed a clot I would suggest you see a hematologist to be evaluated for a condition that would make you at more risk of clotting. Some possible conditions that would do this are Factor V Liedin, Prothrombin 20210 mutation, Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, and Lupus anticoagulant.

Your chest pains may be due to a condition called pleurisy, which is inflammation of the lining of the lungs/chest wall. Typically this pain is worsened by deep breaths.

You may also want to ask your doctor about the possibility of systemic lupus erythematosus. SLE can be associated with hypercoagulation (via the antiphospholipids) and pleurisy as well as other possible causes of the chest pain. It is most commonly diagnosed in women in their young childbearing age (late teens to early twenties).

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us