Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Provera & Palpitations

lindzyb - Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:53 pm

I got prescribed a 10 day prescription for Provera & have taken about 4 days worth. I noticed the past 3 days I have been having very strong heart Palpitations & points where its tough to breathe. It's making me nervous because I read up on some of the side effects which can include heart problems and blood clots. Anyone have any knowledge or advice on this?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:21 am

User avatar Hello - While all hormone-based birth control methods carry some risk of heart problems and blood clots that can go to the lungs, it sounds rather more as though what you're experiencing is the more benign side-effect of palpitations. If you truly are also having trouble breathing (and don't suffer from asthma already) then I'd advise you to mention this to your doctor. However, the rare cardiac and pulmonary "adverse events" associated with birth control drugs are usually a good deal more pronounced and dramatic. That being said, if the shortness of breath is pronounced and constant I would definitely bring it to the attention of a doctor - and of course I would anyway if that were the case.

Best of luck to you and please to keep in touch.