Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Shortness of breath

dialed1 - Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm a 32 year old male. I've been smoking for about 9 years. My wife and I recently had our first child and I promised myself I'd quit when she was born. I've been using a filter that takes out 90% of the the tar and nicotine in each cigarette for about 2 weeks now. I've been having shortness of breath and was wondering if that is a sign of detox?
Thank you-
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:19 pm

User avatar I would not expect this response in quitting but congratulations on your determination to do it for your health as well as for that of your family - including the example you are setting for your child.

If the shortness of breath continues, I would consult a doctor but it may be a bit of a panicky feeling happening related to your decision to quit smoking. By the way, don't be mislead about filters if they are attached to the cigarettes. The marketing makes it sound like they are safer, but there are so many poisons involved, this is a mere drop in the bucket. The kind of filter prescribed by a doctor and which you add with each cigarette can help reduce the nicotine consumed and help with the withdrawal symptoms.

If you would like more information to help you quit, contact the American Lung Association (also on the net). Your local health department may also offer assistance, counseling and even medications to help.

Good luck with this.