Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Strange surge in blood pressure when napping upright

 ddizl - Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:15 pm

I am a 35 year old male, around 30 lbs overweight, medications include Lexapro and 0.5mg of Klonopin in the evening. I have sleep apnea for which I use a CPAP at night (set at 12), but I have been having a problem whenever I nod off on the commuter train coming home or just resting on the couch where i get this surge where I feel like my blood pressure and or pulse goes way up and my eyes seem bloodshot and my head seems a bit strange. I have always thought this was a positional problem as I seem to only get this when sleeping in a sitting postion. I know I should use my CPAP for a full nap, but this seems like a separate problem or is it not? Do I have some kind of central nervous system problem that could be causing this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:32 pm

User avatar Hi Ddizl,

This is interesting. There are a few possibilities that I can think of. It is possible that as you doze off you may actually be obstructing a bit and causing your body to have a stress response, resulting in the increased blood pressure.

Another possibility is that you are having some decreased blood pressures due to your medications (particularly the Klonopin) that is resulting in a rebound increase in your blood pressure.

Neither of these is that great of an explanation, though. I would recommend you see your doctor to discuss this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us