Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Strange surge in blood pressure when napping upright

ddizl - Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:15 pm

I am a 35 year old male, around 30 lbs overweight, medications include Lexapro and 0.5mg of Klonopin in the evening. I have sleep apnea for which I use a CPAP at night (set at 12), but I have been having a problem whenever I nod off on the commuter train coming home or just resting on the couch where i get this surge where I feel like my blood pressure and or pulse goes way up and my eyes seem bloodshot and my head seems a bit strange. I have always thought this was a positional problem as I seem to only get this when sleeping in a sitting postion. I know I should use my CPAP for a full nap, but this seems like a separate problem or is it not? Do I have some kind of central nervous system problem that could be causing this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:32 pm

User avatar Hi Ddizl,

This is interesting. There are a few possibilities that I can think of. It is possible that as you doze off you may actually be obstructing a bit and causing your body to have a stress response, resulting in the increased blood pressure.

Another possibility is that you are having some decreased blood pressures due to your medications (particularly the Klonopin) that is resulting in a rebound increase in your blood pressure.

Neither of these is that great of an explanation, though. I would recommend you see your doctor to discuss this.