Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: First degree heart block

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

 brodron - Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:07 am


My recent check up indicated that i am on the borderline for first degree heart block. I have searched about heart blocks but may I just know what sor of things/medications (?) are generally administered for people who have this? Also, is this reversible? Will the heart return to normal given proper care/medication?

Thank you and hope to hear from you on this.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:16 pm

User avatar Dear Brodron,

What made you have an ecg to begin with?

What you said does not mean that you have first degree heart block. Just that you are on the upper end of normal range for something called atrioventricular conduction which conduction of the electrical impulse of the heart from the atria to the ventricles through some sort of a hub called atrioventricular node. This hub normally delays the impulses and it is different for each person and there is a normal range for this condution, it is not a fixed value. You are at that upper end. That's it.

You don't have to worry about this. There is nothing you can take for it.

If you are worried, all you have to do is to get an ecg every year.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us