Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Taking the right dose of hypertension medication

whodunit - Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:04 am

I am a 56 year old female recently diagnosed as having mild hypertension. My family physician has been monitoring my blood pressure for about 5 months. Most of my readings have ranged from the low 130's and to a high of 156/96. Last month he requested a 24 hour BP monitoring and shared the results with me four days ago. My highest daytime reading was 148/92 and my lowest night time reading was 103/80. There is a history of hypertension, stroke, and heart attack on mother's side. I also have the following medical issues: chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Carpal Tunnel Pain and Hypothyroidism. My current medications are: WinRho, Synthroid, Pantaloc, Relafen, and Gabapentin. Methotrexate was prescribed for the RA, but I could had drug intolerance. Planquinel has been prescribed but I am having problems with it too. I am sensitive to medications; both my Rheumatologist and family physician have to make sure that new meds do not cause my platelet counts to drop.

My physician has prescribed Ramipril for my hypertension: 2.5mg for 7 days, 5mg for 21 days, and 10mg for 7 days. After that I'm to see him for a BP check. I was told that Ramipril has the least side effects of the ACE inhibitors.

I've taken the 2.5mg capsules once daily for 4 days and have been feeling dizzy and extremely tired.
I am concerned about the dosing schedule and wonder if I should be on the lowest dose for a longer period.

This evening I took 2 bp readings, 3 hours apart. The first one was 92/67(I felt very tired) and the second was 110/74 ( I felt a bit more energetic, but perhaps that was due to having a boost of sugar from a dessert.) With these bp readings, do you think it's unwise to move to 5mg in 4 days. I'm planning to call my physician's office on Monday but would sure appreciate your input.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 pm

User avatar I apologize for the delay in answering your question. By now I am confident you have seen your physician. He/she is the most appropriate person to advise you on this and it does sometimes take a while to get the right dosage adjustments. Hopefully by now you are feeling better. Be patient and stay in touch with your doctor about your side effects.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us