Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Female - 26 pain in right shoulder that runs down arm

 aaren22 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:03 pm

I am a 26 year old female who has been having pain in my right shoulder that runs down my right arm on and off for a month now. The pain is very sharp and feels like it is deep in my shoulder, possibly in my veins, and runs down my arm, but the bulk of the pain is in my shoulder under my shoulder blade. This pain does not respons to pain relievers and I have not had any trauma to my shoulder in any way. There also doesn't seem to be a trigger to this pain at all, it comes and goes, but usually last for over 24 hours. The pain also varies in strength and will be very strong for a couple hours, making me not even want to move, and then it will wain slightly for a few hours.

I have had a similiar feeling before (but a lot less painful) when I drink certain drinks, like Skyy Blue, which is similar to the Smirnoff Ice products. I rarely drink and normally just stop drinking if I feel this reaction. Because of this for a short time I thought it was related to the benadryl I was taking for allergies but the pain has come back even though I stopped taking the drug (or any other medicines.)

I have no idea what this or if I should be seriously worried or not? It is extremely painful sometimes and I've examined everything I do, eat and drink it doesn't seem to be caused by anything I am doing. I would appreciate any help I can get as to an idea of what this may be. Thank you very much for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:27 pm

User avatar Hi Aaren22,

I would suggest you see your doctor for a neurological exam. What you are describing sounds like you are having nerve pain, probably from the brachial plexus that is located in the armpit area.

There are a few conditions, such as having an extra cervical rib that can irritate the plexus and cause pain. You may need to have some imaging studies, like an MRI, of the area to see what is going on.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us