Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: Black Vomit & Chest Pains - HELP

lindzyb - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 am

My boyfriend is 17, has asthma, no surgeries, and is on no medications except for Ambien (sleep medicine). He is having severe chest pains, he says it feels like somebody is sitting on his chest & stabbing him at the same time, and is throwing up black vomit. He REFUSES to go to the emergency room until he goes to the Doctor first, because of his limited income. He is only 17, I wouldn't figure a heart problem but because he keeps telling me its in the left side of his chest (the pain) i can't think of anything else. Please give me an answer.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:33 pm

User avatar Hi Lindzyb,

I would strongly recommend your boyfriend be seen as soon as possible. Black vomiting may be due to bleeding in the stomach or possibly due to an obstruction of the GI tract. It is very important have this evaluated. If he is not able to get in to see his doctor immediately I would strongly advise him to be seen in the emergency room or urgent care.