Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Dropping heart beat

Fred Jordan - Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Male age 69, no past history other than elevated cholesterol controlled by medication, family history both sides had hardening of the arteries. However, father lived to 89 and mother to 95.
Three-four weeks ago began having lightheadiness for a few seconds throughout the day. Never fainted. Not dizzy. Work most days in my woodshop - 6 to 8 hours. Checked bp and pulse last Thursday evening and bp was normal. Pulse was 35 (sitting) Recehecked an hr later and pulse was 60, which is typical. Saw pa on Friday and she confirmed a low pulse. Scheduled for cardiac w/up in 3 weeks. No instructions from pa as to what to do in meantime, other than call 911 if I have chest pains. What should I be doing? What causes big drops in pulse rate? How is it fixed?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm glad to see you will be meeting with a heart specialist soon. It is important to determine if there is an underlying disease process that is causing this or if it is just within the normal range for you, as part of the aging process (electrical system) . There's not much to be done in the meantime unless you develop other unusual symptoms such as dizziness, difficulty breathing, pain or other symptoms of heart attack (feeling faint, dizzy, chest and/or arm/shoulder pain, feeling of impending doom, sweating, pale skin, anxiety, etc. If you notice a pattern or palpitations, keep a record of these to report to your doctor.