Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Factor II Prothrombin mutation

WendyNY - Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm

I just found out I have this (tested after multiple m/c's). At this point I'm more concerned about heart/clot risk as I have other risk factors besides this clotting disorder. I had posed a question about elevated protein S levels in conjunction with this & was told the two don't have anything to do with each other. I found this from a study:

"Depletion of protein S from plasma or inhibition of protein S in plasma by monoclonal antibodies induced a 5- to 25- fold increase of prothrombin activation on the procoagulant endothelial cell matrix...."

c 1995 by The American Society of Hematology.

Just to ease my mind, doesn't this means that my elevated Protein S levels are actually lowering my prothrombin and are a protective mechanism? Or does it not work the other way around??

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:04 pm

User avatar Hi WendyNY,

I'm not sure that this question has actually been fully studied. Unfortunately, I would not necessarily think that the elevated protein S levels will be protective although there may be some slight protection given.

You may want to talk with a hematologist about this. They are likely to know much more about this than I do.

Sorry I can't give you much more of an answer than this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us