Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: Recovery time for perimyocarditis?

30yrsUnDxd - Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 am

I wondering what the recovery time is for perimyocarditis. I have atrial fib and am anemic. And also I've read that Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism can cause perimyocarditis. My doctors haven't heard of this. What do you know about it?

Age 54, F, with long term, severe, under treated, Hashimoto's.

Current medications:
Colchicine
Ibuprofen
Digoxin
Flecainide
Maxzide
Synthroid
Nexium
FeSO4
and supplements
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar Hi 30yrsUndDxd,

The recovery time for pericarditis depends on what is causing the inflammation and if the underlying issue has resolved. Recover can be weeks to months in more severe cases.

I'm not directly aware of Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism causing pericarditis although it may in rare cases.

You may also what to discuss with your doctor the possibility of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. This can cause pericarditis and is associated with other autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's.

30yrsUnDxd - Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:50 am

Thank you for your reply Dr. Lowe.

I've read that hypothyroidism can cause pericardial effusion. I had long term, under treated hypothyroidism. It took me nearly four years to find a doctor who knew how to treat it and place me on the correct dose of Levothyroxine.

I don't have the symptoms of SLE. I've been thoroughly tested for autoimmune diseases because they run in my family. I don't, at this time, have anything else besides Hashimoto's. Nor do I have any symptoms of other autoimmune diseases.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 am

I'd just like to chime in here because I have some experience with a limited number of patients over the course of a good many years who have suffered pericarditis secondary to hypthyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I don't know the mechanism which accounts for it, but it definitely occurs in the literature and in the real world. Treatment, so far as I know, involves anti-inflammatory medications.

I would concur with Dr. Lowe regarding the Lupus rule-in/out as well, to cover all the bases.

Hope this is helpful.