Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Question: skipped beat after exercise.

redsfan78 - Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 am

28, male. HBP none, none, Metoprolol 150 mg

I have noticed on two occasions that after I stop running/walking on the treadmill and my heart rate is up, I am getting skipped beats. Is this anything to be concerned about?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:40 pm

User avatar Hi Redsfan78,

You are likely feeling premature ventricular contractions. These are quite common and are generally not that dangerous.

In your case, since they are occuring more when the heart rate increases I would suggest you discuss this with your doctor. You may need to have an exercise stress test to see what happens to your heart rhythm when you have an increased pulse. The concern is that when more PVC's occur with exercise they may lead to a more dangerous rhythm.

If the PVC's occur less with exercise than when at rest they are much less concerning.

brisk9007 - Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:59 am

I had these same symptoms when i was around 15, turned out to be Mitral valve prolapse. The doctor didnt seem to worried about it. I am 19 now, and i still have regular check ups with the same doctor and it seems to be getting better.

But u really need to goto a doctor and get it checked out.