Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: taking blood pressure

jason5004 - Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:41 am

My question : Do you think medial people sometimes make mistakes when taking blood pressure? I noticed last time when I went to the doctor he took my blood pressure when I was seated on the exam table and my arm was hanging down, He told me my BP was high. When I went home and took my BP I put my arm resting on a table (as in this web site http://www.ktl.fi/publications/ehrm/pro ... t_iii3.htm ) and it was close to normal . I know other factors also can cause false reading like cuff size, and just being freaked out your at the doctors office. If I think they are taking it wrong how should I tell them? Thanks for any advice
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 am

User avatar There definitely can be errors in the testing procedure. You might mention to the staff how much different the readings are when you test at the drug store. It is also possible you are having some normal level of fluctuation or what is commonly referred to as "white coat hypertension." In that case you have anxiety in the doctor's office and your blood pressure reflects this. When in the drugstore, it checks out OK. Let your doctor know if you notice this phenomenon in your situation. Just say, "hey, I was noticing that my blood pressure is only elevated when I'm here." Than ask if the doctor thinks this might be what is going on with you.

This is a good question. Good luck.
 jason5004 - Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:59 am

Thank you for taking time to reply to my question