Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: unexplained bruises,leg pain,leg swelling

galanim1 - Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:15 pm

question- I am 25 years old healthy female and for the last couple of years I have had edema on my legs,increased noticeable veins on my legs, and I get lots of bruises on my legs and thighs that do not heal very quickly(one took a year to heal). Also my legs are extremely tender to touch especially in the morning and any pressure applied to my legs causes bruising. I have mentioned this to my physician and he suggested wearing TED stockings for the swelling but had no answer for the unusual leg pain and bruising. I also have had ultrasounds to determine if I had adequate blood flow to my legs(which came out normal). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be?
Meds- I took birth control for 2 1/2 years, but I have been off of it for almost 2 years. I sometimes take Ibuprofen(but this has been more recent)
Surgeries- tonsils
family history- heart disease, HTN
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:48 am

User avatar Hi Galanim1,

I would suggest that you see your doctor again to discuss your symptoms. There are a few possible causes for these symptoms. I would suggest having your thyroid levels tested, testing your kidney function and evaluating for diabetes.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us