Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Is it possible to have S1+S2+0 in the PE of patient with AF?

mat - Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:49 am

The ecg findings also showed AF. Thank you very much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 pm

User avatar Hi Mat,

I apologize but I do not understand the notation "O" in your title. It is possible for a patient in atrial fibrillation to have an S1 and S2 on their physical exam. S1 is made by the closing of the tricuspid and mitral valves. S2 is made by the closing of the atrial and pulmonic valves.

Even though the atria are not pumping in a coordinated method during atrial fibrillation blood still flows through the valves due to pressure of the bloodstream, allowing for an S1. The ventricles pump normally creating S2.

If, by chance, the "O" refers to a gallop these are created by bloodflow so they can still be present with atrial fibrillation as well.

If I haven't fully answered your question please feel free to post a follow up.