Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Ibuprofen and MVP

Neiby - Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:55 pm

My girlfriend has MVP but is not taking any medications for it, including aspirin. She has taken aspirin in the past. She also had some sort of procedure in the past but I don't know what it was. She is 36-years-old and in good health.

She was in a car accident ten days ago and is in a lot of pain. She doesn't have medical insurance so she's having to wait for an appointment with a doctor provided by the car insurance company. I've recommended to her that she start taking 2400 mg/day of ibuprofen for pain and reduction of inflammation, but she's not sure if ibuprofen at that dosage would present a problem considering her heart condition.

Is there any danger for people with mitral valve prolapse if they take prescription dosages of ibuprofen for short-term pain and inflammation?

Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:03 pm

User avatar Hi Neiby,

Ibuprofen is not contraindicated with mitral valve prolapse. However, when taking prescription levels of a medication it is always safest to be under medical supervision.