Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Mexitil For PVCS?

iamloco724 - Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:56 pm

im 21 m been suffering from frequent pvcs been on torpol xl and atenolol now on atenolol at 150mg 50 in the morning 100 at night and don't get much relief i still feel my heart beating it just feels lighter the beat my dr talked about possible ablation so today i went for a 2nd opinion to see what someone else said..the halter monitor results from the first dr revealed frequent pvcs with probable short run of v.tahyadaca..so i went for the 2nd opinion today and he told me how theres not many options cause its not treating a disease or a problem its treating symptoms theres no real cause for whats going on with me all my blood is fine,i don't eat or drink anything with caffeine i occasionally have anxiety but these pvcs are on an everyday basis.so he gave me a number for a console with someone that will do the ablation just to talk to them..there checking into to see if my insurance will cover a Transtelephonic monitor for a few weeks..and he gave me a prescription for Mexitil to take with the atenolol...he said its my choice whether i want to take it or not..the one thing that concerns me about Mexitil is what i read it says it could cause a new arthymmia should i be worried about that?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:25 am

User avatar Hi Iamloco724,

I do not have any experience with the medication but I can give you some information that I was able to find. Mexitil is a medication that is used for ventricular rhythm problems such as the PVC's you are experiencing. In one study about 2% of people using the medicine ended up having worsening rhythm problems.

Some will admit the patient to the hospital when starting this medicine to be able to watch for this problem.

Should you decide to use this medicine please be sure you have good follow up with your doctor.