Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 18 years old and chest tightness, back pain, and dizzyness

 soccerrocker63 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:09 pm

I am an 18 year old female. lately i have been experiancing chest tighness. This occurs randomly and with no real cause as far as i can tell. It happens with or without physical activity at the time. The pain ranges from mild tightness to a sharp stabbing pain. Other things that have been happening are that i have been getting dizzy and occasionally my vision will become blurry or go black around the edges thought it usually clears up in a minute or too and is usually joined by a sharp throbbing headache with a feeling of pressure in skull. I also have back pains that get better if i "pop" it but that is only a temporary solution as the pain returns in about an hour or two. I am anemic, but am otherwise very healthy, i ran track and play soccer and participate in karate.i do have a history of cancer and heart disease in my family. I just don't know what this sypmtoms could be.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm

User avatar Hello Soccerrocker63,

Unfortunately your symptoms are pretty non-specific so I can't tell you for sure what is going on. There are several possibilities including gastroesophageal reflux episodes, a syndrome called precordial catch syndrome, and panic/anxiety attacks. It is unlikely to be heart related although some dysrhythmias can cause these types of feelings. Also, anemia can bring about some of these problems as well.

I would recommend you follow up with your doctor about these symptoms to be fully evaluated. This way the exam and detailed history can help guide any testing that may be needed.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us