Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: hole in heart... should i be more catious?

Southy1 - Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi there...

This is a bit of a general question.

I had a hole in my heart from birth, and had a couple of operations to make the hole as small as possible. Unfortunatley i cant remember what 'type' it was, as i know there are two main ones. But i know it was known to be the more serious and complicated hole in heart.

I have had a couple of dental procedures, that have made me go under anesetic so my heart can be monitored throughout.

Recently i have had a really heavy cough, and after visiting the docs was given a course of amoxcillin... to treat what he thought was a flu, with bronchitis symptoms.

When he asked if i had any illness i said no. Since my hole in heart has never caused any probs, it didnt occur that i should mention it! :-S

I was just wondering now im a bit older, and living idependently, are there any anti biotics that i should let myself be prescribed? and any particular activities that may affect my heart condition in anyway. I was meant to go for a scan at the age of 17, but the hospital never got in contact... (im 19 now)

Thanks for reading and any helpful advice.

P.S I did tell the doc when i registered that i had had a hole in my heart, so im pressuming it was in front of him on the computer anyway?

xxx
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:26 am

You had a hole in the heart from birth. You say it was the more serious kind and complicated one. It required more than one surgery to 'make it as small as possible'. This information could mean a congenital cyanotic heart disease.

If a total correction was achieved, there is no issue now. Irrespective of that, there is no issue against taking any antibiotic for brochitis or any other condition either. Of course you must tell your doctor of your past condition and surgeries.

At this stage you should undergo an evaluation of your current status of the heart. Also there are certain preventive antibiotics that you should take during any future dental procedure or non cardiac surgeries to prevent your heart getting infected.[Endocarditis Prophylaxis.]

Apurva