Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: Slight pressure on my left side and around my heart

GKovacs1982 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am

About two and a half months ago, I was diagnosed with pericarditis. I’ve got a steroid shot and antibiotics because my doctor suspected that it was because of an infection. I took my medication and the symptoms stopped in about four to five weeks.

I thought I’ll be fine, but about two weeks ago I started to feel pressure around my heart again. Although, this time it is slightly different. Sometimes I feel the exact same pressure-like pain around my heart when I had the pericarditis. Other times my armpit hurts (that’s the most common), or my left side, or my back (also left side). It’s like if the zone-of-pain was moving around my left side randomly (although it is not really a pain, more like a feeling of slight pressure).

Very seldom I also experience urge to cough and a slight pressure around my lunges, like if I had a cold, but I don’t have a fever or anything else that would indicate a cold or influenza.

Oh, I also have GERD Reflux disease. I‘ve got diagnosed with it this past summer.

I’m terrified that it’s something serious…
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 am

The most common reason for a pericarditis is viral infection. Since pericardium is a crucial membrane, fibrosis of which will lead to difficulty in heart pumping-a serious disease- your doctor rightly gave you steroids to prevent this dire consequence.

Now you have a migratory nature of pain which is not a characteris tic of pericadial pain at all.

On the other hand, GERD can cause chest pain referred to several different areas of the chest.

Even then I would request you to get in touch with your cardiologist again and undergo whatever tests she advises. But do not get anxious.

Apurva