Medical Specialty >> Cardiology

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

Back to Cardiology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/20/2017.

Forum Name: Pericardial Diseases

Question: Slight pressure on my left side and around my heart

GKovacs1982 - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am

About two and a half months ago, I was diagnosed with pericarditis. I’ve got a steroid shot and antibiotics because my doctor suspected that it was because of an infection. I took my medication and the symptoms stopped in about four to five weeks.

I thought I’ll be fine, but about two weeks ago I started to feel pressure around my heart again. Although, this time it is slightly different. Sometimes I feel the exact same pressure-like pain around my heart when I had the pericarditis. Other times my armpit hurts (that’s the most common), or my left side, or my back (also left side). It’s like if the zone-of-pain was moving around my left side randomly (although it is not really a pain, more like a feeling of slight pressure).

Very seldom I also experience urge to cough and a slight pressure around my lunges, like if I had a cold, but I don’t have a fever or anything else that would indicate a cold or influenza.

Oh, I also have GERD Reflux disease. I‘ve got diagnosed with it this past summer.

I’m terrified that it’s something serious…
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:39 am

User avatar Hi,

The most common reason for a pericarditis is viral infection. Since pericardium is a crucial membrane, fibrosis of which will lead to difficulty in heart pumping-a serious disease- your doctor rightly gave you steroids to prevent this dire consequence.

Now you have a migratory nature of pain which is not a characteris tic of pericadial pain at all.

On the other hand, GERD can cause chest pain referred to several different areas of the chest.

Even then I would request you to get in touch with your cardiologist again and undergo whatever tests she advises. But do not get anxious.

Apurva

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us